April 25, 2011

The Black Book of Indian Cuss & Slurs


I had conceptualised the idea for this book about two years back when I had written an essay on common swearwords used in Indian languages. At that time it did not occur to me that this could be converted into a book. After the essay was appreciated by friends, I started writing a series of essays on the subject of swearwords and before long I had a book ready.

"Beep You! You Beep Hole: The Black Book of Indian Cuss & Slurs" is the result of days of idle talks with friends in back benches during my training period in National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) and mindless scribbling. I am not sure if I have used the right form and style on the vast subject of swearwords or whether it does justice to the subject; but still I went forward with searching for a publisher. My conviction was based on the following reasons:

1. There is no basic introduction to swearwords in market
2. The book has tinges of chick-lit writing style. It is academic in orientation but does not go heavy on the reader - I realise that my average target base is population of young teen category.
3. It makes for an interesting read. I have made an attempt to demonstrate the use of swearwords by using swearwords in the course of my explanations and narrations.

I believe I could have done more justice to the subject of censorship; the space I gave to this chapter was small; this was because had I gone into it at length the chapter would have disintegrated with the general mood and balance of the book.

Anyways the book is now out and just today I got to know that it is available in bookstores of New Delhi. It will reach other stations in 5-10 days.

3 comments:

Mani Lalwani said...

I am so going for this book as soon as it is available here :)
your essay long back has made the expectations so high and am sure i wont be disappointed :P

best of luck :)

Smarak said...

Thank you Aby for the kind words. I see that you yourself have started blogging few days back.

Anonymous said...

we have on this web blog assembled a huge collection of news about [url=http://apple-televizor.ru/]http://apple-televizor.ru/[/url]