December 23, 2004

Enjoying the Vacations

This is perhaps the first vacation I am enjoying thoroughly. Till I was in 10th, winter vacations were an opportunity mummy gets to go to relatives' and drag me along. I felt really bore there but had no other option. We used to live in Koraput then, far away from Cuttack area near which almost all my relations are settled and Daddy was never keen to keep me back.
Winter vacation never came during my 2-year JEE preparations. I had to attend tutions both in chill and heat. I remember, my tution teacher K K Swain had even called us in X mas...
Dad got transferred to Ranchi when I left for KGP and I had to go there for all my vacs...a place where I had no friend. Now that I have made sufficient no. of friends at Ranchi (all KGP guys) my dad has been send to Sambalpur on deputation (temporary settlement). The place was really horrible in the summers, with no one around and the guest house located at a secluded part of Burla, a secluded town (can also tell village) in Sambalpur dist.
However, the winters were fun. I spend nearly ten days in Rajastan and those were some memorable days. Visiting forts, palaces, taking camel safari and much more-was fun. Nakul's sister's marriage, which was our pretext for going there, was also fun. Their culture was far different from ours, still the flavour was the same. The veg. diet was very tasty. If I swear that lamb curry and non-veg stew is the best in Orissa, I must confess veg food in Rajastan is too good and is the best in its class.
I will write more about my tour to Rajastan the moment I am back at Kharagpur. Well, now I am in Burla for spending the last two weeks of my holidays. I even find this place interesting, the small but beautiful town. I completed JHUMPA LAHIRI's THE NAMESAKE today. It was a great novel with expert narration. Amazing fact about the novel is that LAHIRI has knit a novel from a simple (and silly if not read from Lahiri's point of view) story line! The narration is superb with every detail about Gogol's life and his 'namesake' mentioned in detail.

Lastly, The Utpal Dutt movies and Kareena Kareena leave a comic flavour on me...
MERRY XMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments: