April 30, 2006

Suggest me an ending

I wrote down a story some time back but am unable to decide on the ending. I have plotted two-three endings but better ideas are always welcome :)

Sharat and I are friends, close friends. There isn’t much common between us except that both of us are losers. We are two losers in this institute of achievers. I am not good at academics, nor is he. I could never make it to any sport team, nor could he. I don’t have a girlfriend; same the case with Sharat.

You don’t know (if you never have been a loser) how painful a loser’s life is if he isn’t in the company of another. Loser compatriots, the real pain-killers, give you the assurance that every grape you can’t reach is sour, that every sport you don’t have the stamina to play is boring and that I am a loner because none of the girls in this institute is pretty enough to be honoured with my company.

Ours was a peaceful world, built on our conception that achievers were achievers because they work hard, that we are no way inferior, just a little lazy; we don’t hang out with girls not because we don’t get date but because we are still waiting for this dream girl.

Alas! One evening all of it changed. News came in that a classmate by the name Sukanya had attempted suicide by taking lots of sleeping pills. She was taken to the hospital soon but her condition was still serious after six hours.

Now, this girl was the heartthrob of the institute. Beautiful, slim and with dark long hair she is one of the best feminine matter you can get in this institute. She was Sharat’s lab partner in digital electronics practical. Sharat always had a crush on her but was never confident enough to ask her for a date…or at least I thought it that way. In fact, Sukanya used to chat with him animatedly while Sharat kept standing numb and nervous in lab classes.

I did think Sharat never had the confidence to ask her for a date but here I was proved wrong. With the news of Sukanya’s suicide attempt came the news that she had tried suicide because Sharat rejected her! Let alone Sharat’s rejection, it was tough for me to believe that she had ever fallen for Sharat. He used to act like a dumb in her presence. However, reports were confirmed by her friends. She had tried calling Sharat many times that day and even had some altercations on mobile in closed room. ‘Sharat’ was the only name on her lips while lying senseless in the hospital.

You never know what goes on in a beautiful girl’s mind and I kept wondering how could she fancy the noob that Sharat is. Eager to find out what really happened, I dashed into Sharat’s room to find him in company with Somanchi and another two guys who don’t hold any relevance to the story. Of course, there are others in this circle of losers. Somanchi is a loser, albeit only in lack of female luck. There is a long list of girls –longer than this story is intended to last –Somanchi has tried his luck on without success. Unlike most losers who are sceptic of achievers, Somanchi acts like one. He often boasts of so and so girl he exploited and left after losing interest in her.

‘If you are here to ask about the suicide, please don’t. As a friend at least you are expected to understand my predicament’ Sharat said as soon as I took a seat.

‘And friends shouldn’t hide anything, isn’t it?’ I asked.

‘Yes! Even I have never hidden anything about my love life to you guys’ Somanchi blurted. Most of the tales about his love life being ‘tales’, his statement wasn’t really an expression of hurt feeling. It was evident from Sharat’s expressions that he was serious, nervous and worried.

‘Look guys. There is a girl in hospital and everyone thinks of me as a villain. It hurts me but I am not in a position to tell anything to anyone’ Sharat said, ‘I didn’t think she would go that far’ the last sentence more to himself than us.

Somanchi again blurted out ‘You don’t know girls, especially the pretty ones. They can’t handle a single break-up easily. You know how Ayushka reacted when I broke up with her? I tried my best to make it easy. I explained to her that…’ Once started, Somanchi doesn’t stop unless his story is heard and appreciated. We all knew this girl Ayushka never existed and if she did exist, it must have been the other way round.

News in this institute spreads like wildfire. Overnight everyone knew that Sukanya fell in love with a guy called Sharat and tried suicide when he rejected her and Sharat became a star, a ‘stud’ in campus lingo. Words started floating in his praise –

‘Who is Sharat…oh it is him?’

‘Lucky bastard. Must have used her a lot’

‘Always maintains a low profile. Now I know why’

‘That’s why I was thinking why Sukanya wasn’t having a date for a long time’

‘Must have done it with Sukanya before ditching her’

‘Is she carrying a baby or something?’

‘Good for her. She thought only she can ditch guys’

Classes went on as they should but there was a marked difference this time. Sharat had assumed heroic proportions among the students. Those who didn’t know him just stared at him from a distance and whispered to each other; those who did came forward, exchanged a ‘hi’ and talked to him the way fast friends do. Girls tried to show anger and abhorrence but their eyes deceived them. All these years, Sharat and I would move through the campus without being noticed by girls; without ever being greeted by any of the so-called studs. Now it was all changing, but only for Sharat.

I hate to be left behind. Before it was the two of us ignored but now it was only me. While walking together inside campus or when sitting in coffee shop, we met many others. They used to greet Sharat with a ‘hi’ but not me. Those who did greet me talked to Sharat about something or the other making me feel left out. Within a few days of the incident, I was filled with green-eyed jealousy. I always went to the institute on his bike but started discontinuing when I felt that I was being viewed as an assistant. I started avoiding him as much as possible, both in and outside the class.

And then news came that Sukanya was healing fast and was now ready to receive visitors. It became a big occasion for Sharat and his new friends’ circle. There was a hot debate with Sharat’s new friends and their girlfriends arguing on whether he should pay Sukanya a visit. Finally he agreed to meet her. I had hoped that something awkward would happen there and I could get my friend back. But the visit went pretty smooth. Fresh news came in that Sharat and Sukanya have decided to stay friends. The condition worsened. Girls, who earlier acted as if they are scorned on Sharat, started talking with him. After all, he had apologized Sukanya and she had forgiven him. My distance with Sharat further increased.

NOW COMES THE CRUCIAL PART. WHAT DO U THINK THE ENDING SHOULD BE? SOMETHING LIKE EMOTIONAL/ MORALISTIC OR SOMETHING LIKE SHARAT MAKES A FOOL OF HIMSELF SHOULD DO? OR SHALL I MAKE SOME PHILOSOPHICAL MOORING ON BEING A LOSER IN INSTI ETC...

4 comments:

bl@her said...

your story is a chetan bhagat material... keep writing...

Anonymous said...

u too blackmail a girl to attempt suicide as sharath had done to sukhanya.....

u achieve popularity too....

Absolutely Lost said...

Duplicate introduce nahi kar raha hai kya ??? Kar de ... nahi to ek kaam kar ek dashing si bandi introduce kar and make both of u fall for her ,.. and make sure she falls for you and sharat gets no one :p .. how's that ... and finally everyone gets ditched .. thus the theme is met - "We all are Losers"

Anonymous said...

Sukanya and friends plan a kidnap of Sharat and execute it one fine day.. They take him to a deserted place and then scare him to death by actually trying to rape him.. When they see that Sharat can't take the torture more, Sukanya maaros a dialog.."This was just a trailor of the punishment that you're gonna get for rejecting me!"

Sharat is dumbstruck and is left in that state for the rest of his life, wondering how the actual punishment would be!

how dumb! :D